Friday, January 9, 2015

1000 Words

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  After scrolling through seemingly thousands of pictures tweeted and shared by school principals across America for #APrincipalsDay on January 7 (and beyond), a few came immediately to mind: happy, dedicated, energetic, immersed, student-oriented, fun.  I certainly did not see any frowny-faces (even those who were shoveling snow or fixing copy machines).  We principals truly love what we do. 

Early in my teaching career, administration was usually referred to as the “dark side.”  Teachers who made the jump to administration somehow donned the cloak of evil, forgot everything there was about being in the classroom, and made it their mission to create antagonism.  Even when I made the decision to step out of the classroom after 18 years and enter administration, some of my teacher colleagues used the same phrase for me (in jest).  No offense was taken; I even joked about it myself.  I remember early in my teaching career, I told one of my awesome principals that there would be no way that I would ever sit on the other side of that desk and do what he did--ever.  But, through the encouragement of a few more administrators AND my lovely wife, I took the leap.

You know what?  There really is not another side to the desk.  To be honest, I’m not at my desk long enough during the day to know which side is mine.  Most of us administrators are not the “old school” principals you may remember from ages past.  It really isn’t us vs. them.  We are all still teachers—all in this together (I feel a song coming on, but I will refrain).  We get to work with the most talented, caring, and empowering individuals known to mankind—teachers.  We also have the benefit of being able to influence our youth in a very positive way.  That is why we do what we do.  It is not to get out of teaching, but rather to come along side and support everything about education: tying shoes, reading a book, counting, cursive, long division, nutrition, debate, critical thinking, digital citizenship, technology infusion, state standards, and educator effectiveness.


Seeing those smiling principals, teachers, staff members, and students on the Twitter feed reaffirmed that this is the calling for me.  I do not have to go to work every day; I get to come to school.  Take time to smile every day, say cheese(head), and tweet a selfie.  A picture is worth a thousand words, or maybe just a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment