Monday, January 5, 2015

Snowed in (or not)

Winter Storm Gorgon is approaching, and I am anxiously awaiting for the predicted six inches of snow that will supposedly cripple central Indiana.  Back in the old country (Wisconsin), six inches of snow is merely an inconvenience--maybe a 2-hour delay if it occurred around 5 in the morning, but never a cancellation.  My wife's family is closely tied to another school district in central Indiana.  For the past 18 years I have made fun of them when their district cancels school for days on end for less than a foot of snow.

Perspective.  It is all a matter of perspective.

Doesn't that account for nearly everything when it comes to teaching and learning?  What seems completely obvious to one, may be utterly confusing to another.  Response to Intervention, academic standards, educator effectiveness, technology infusion, anti-bullying, and mod scheduling each bring different levels of comfort or stress to students, teachers, administrators, and parents.  The biggest obstacle to educational progress is the size of the snowdrifts of misunderstanding.  Maintaining communication among all stakeholders in the educational process is vital; teachers, parents, administration, and students may all have different and valid perspectives on current practices and future goals of a school district.  Successful schools allow for voices to be heard, perspectives to be understood, and the well-being of the students to be visible at all times.

It is my honor and privilege to be a part of the Rossville family.  As I continue my inaugural year as Principal of Rossville Middle-High School, I look forward to grow in the manner I serve the staff, students, and families of this awesome community.

Through the composition of this blog post, Gorgon continues to push her snake-haired head into the area, and I wonder if she will prevent us from holding classes in the morning.  If we do, great learning will continue within these walls.  If we do have a snow day, I will go sledding on the hill next to the playground and frolic on the soccer field.  I hope others will join me.  That is learning, too, donchaknow!

Perspective.  It is all a matter of perspective.

I brought my snow pants and boots from Wisconsin, and I am anxiously waiting to use them here in the Hoosier State.  Meet me at the sledding hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment